Thursday, January 29, 2009

Museum Blog #4


I visited the Canter Museum at Stanford University. There was a great variety of art there, much more than I had expected. My favorite artworks were a realistic sculpture of a man and the glass. The man was named David, purposefully named that after Michaelangelo's David. It was dressed as a construction worker and reminded me of what one would see while visiting a wax museum. I found it very interesting that such a realistic representation of a human could be made. Everyone in the room had to ask the people they were with or other observers if the sculpture was real; some even went as far as touching it, even though it was prohibited.

The glass art that was displayed was very beautiful. The one that struck my attention was created by a modern Australian glassblower. The artist was able to make the glass have a muted and non-glossy apperance. This was achieved by sanding the glass down, giving it the appearance of seaglass. I thought it was very innovative to try and make something that is always seen as glossy and shiny look the opposite way.

No comments:

Post a Comment